17.8.08

refreshment

I worked 11.5 hours on Friday. 8a to 7:30p. Ate lunch at my desk. A few random breaks here and there, but we have a few Monday am deadlines, so primarily I... just... kept... working...

I was planning on going to the gym at some point during the day, but I just kept pushing it back. Lunch turned into mid-afternoon turned into after work turned into screw that, I'm going home. (and by "going home" I mean have a delicious salad at the Mixx and then watch Tropic Thunder with Luke. Best night in awhile, thanks man!)


The highlight of my day came around 9:30a when I started to gather some background information for one of our upcoming construction sites. I was attempting to locate the existing utilities, so I was calling multiple municipalities and companies to find their individual lines.

I ended up calling one elderly gentleman who frankly I shouldn't have called. Wrong company. Wrong city. Wrong state.

As soon as he answered the phone, I quickly told him who I was, who I was with and what I needed. His response simultaneously completely threw me off and utterly rejuvenated me. He greeted me with such familiarity and welcome that I swore we were old friends. His voice dripped with warmth and care, as he asked me how I was. He then gently laughed at my mistake and completely reconciled it by telling me not only the company I should call, but also the specific person.

Our 5 minute conversation was so refreshing, I'm tempted to make a habit of "accidentally" calling him.

2 comments:

rachel rianne said...

that sounds like a perfect accidental call. isn't it fantastic how warm people can be without skipping a beat? if only we could all be like that.

tomorrow i return to the middle america.

Two Guys Good Health said...

true. im pretty certain most of the time people are anti-encouraged after getting off the phone with me!


middle america. similar to middle earth ehh?

congratulations. i know youve been counting down the days to leave that hell-hole, portland, and come back to a place which is actually hip & lively!