28.8.08

Adventures in Farsightedness

This evening, I had an eye appointment. During said appointment, my optometrist decided to dilate my eyes to check for glaucoma and maybe another serious optic disease.

Im free and clear, thanks for asking.

He assured me that not only would I be able to wear my contacts and drive home safely, but that I would only experience slight farsightedness lasting for a couple of hours.


And now a play-by-play of those couple of hours...
In an attempt to give my eyes time to see better, I decided to run over to Barnes & Noble to pick up some things Ive been needing. One small problem... books have small print & I couldn't focus on anything between a range of 2" and 3'. My solution was, of course, to hold the books up to my nose while reading the price, back cover, title, you get the idea. Shockingly, I couldn't find the C.S. Lewis biography I was in search of, BUT I did manage to score 2 journals and a map... we'll see what they look like tomorrow.

Still not being able to focus between 2" and 3', I drove home. To Lawrence. From Overland Park. Speed was a guesstimate as I couldn't exactly see the speedometer, but hey, I made it home OK.

Upon arrival to Lawrence, I rushed over to Dillons to pick up some veggies. Still couldn't see up close. Got to the self-checkout and couldn't read the code for the salad bar. I utilize the salad bar multiple times a week (don't judge... it's convenient and healthy), so I figured I would kinesthetically remember the code: closing my eyes, my fingers would magically remember. They didn't. At least not correctly. 5 minutes later and an embarrassing explanation later, I made it home.

As I got to my apartment, my neighbor, Nikki, was just leaving for a run. She's training for the Chicago half-marathon and today was a 5-miler. In a moment of genius, I decided to join her. Really, it wasn't bad, expect having to look 20 feet down the path rather than 5. I survived.

When I got home, I rushed to take a shower so that I could watch Obama's speech at the DNC (nice job B!), but not before calling Tyler to tell him where we were watching. Tyler is speed-dial 9... Luke is speed-dial 8... I don't know why Luke picked up Tyler's phone, but he politely declined coming to the Africa house to watch the speech.

2 comments:

luke said...

i wasn't polite! how dare you interrupt me like you did you bastard! i hope you do have an eye disease! call me accidentally, call me another name, invite me to a party over an hour away--yeah real nice. 'preciate it a-hole.

Two Guys Good Health said...

you're right, you were a jerk. you are a jerk. not only did you NOT politely decline coming to watch Obama speak... you didn't come!

FRIENDSHIP OVER!!


oh, real quick: what time are we celebrating your birthday tomorrow? let me know.