The last months I've grown a fascination with the language and it's adaptation through time and geography and culture. Increasingly, I've been a part of discussions on language being dynamic: words ever change and therefore are in regular need of redefinition.
Though there are many ways this can happen, one I see especially prevalent is over-use of a word or phrase to the point of meaning pollution. At this point the word effectively becomes more of a cultural (or sub-cultural) staple rather than a word with actual meaning. It is, as if, there is a point where language tips from having a real definition with rich imagery and meaningful associated practices to being a word we use because we're used to saying it.
Naturally, I am most aware of this within the Christian sub-culture and am painfully present to how many of our words just don't make sense outside this context. But rather than tear down words and stop using them, I like to reinvent them, redefine them. That way, they're rich to me, full of meaning, and a discovery to invite others into.
One of the words that nearly lost meaning for me is disciple, a word thrown-around a fair bit in expressly Christian circles. My working definition of a disciple is someone who postures their life to listen to Jesus and faithfully respond over time.
(I stole this definition from Ken Primrose and the entire Norman Community Church. Ken goes on to define faithfulness as sincerity + time)
What's your working definition of a disciple?

2 comments:
i think 'working definition' is the right idea, because i think it is fluid over time.
for me right now then i'd say...well, i don't know. but the only things i thought of, the more i thought about them, the more i realized that the original disciples probably wouldn't even meet those definitions! it took them quite awhile to faithfully respond. that's cool to think about though--that our being a disciple (at least for some time) has little to do with rate of compliance.
i guess then my definition would have to have something of grace in it. and love. maybe that's implicit, but it's probably the closest i've got: someone who loves jesus more than anything or anyone else.
It's difficult (hence the stealing of definition rather than creation of it!). I certainly feel that same pull towards ideas of grace and love, and their inclusion in how we think of discipleship.
For me, one of the criteria is that the definition works for someone who is on the first day of the Journey as well as the one on the last (so, the definition covers every 'stage' of discipleship). Grace and Love are experienced at both places, but I wonder how the influence and recognition of those Divine Virtues deepens or intensifies over time. As, or if they do, can they be included in our definition?
Which makes me ask a challenging question: can someone be a disciple of Jesus without experiencing the Love or Grace of God?
Post a Comment