7.10.07

Change...

I used to understand the goal of life as reaching a destination. This destination looked different for each person, but generally it was the place of security and identity. For some this meant having money, for others success or relationships or living out their life's work. Once you arrived, life was pretty much figured out: there were no more deep questions, little risk required, and certainly you possessed the peace of knowing yourself. After you arrive, the rest of life is working out the kinks.

A few years ago, I was presented with the idea that life wasn't a destination, but instead a journey. There never was a place of arrival, but rather an adventure to be lived. In this progression, we are somehow changed, transformed; in the words of Lewis, we become either "immortal horrors or everlasting splendors."

Upon reflection, I dont think I ever fully bought the journey idea. Instead, I just embraced a hybrid of the two: life is a journey until you reach the place of arrival where security and identity reside. Makes sense right? You go on a journey to get somewhere!

Something happened last week. I suddenly believe it. There is no destination, no place of arrival. Life is a journey. A beautiful adventure full of discovery and risk, love and pain, possibilities and betrayal. Through the seasons and relationships and experiences we grow and deepen. And hopefully we become more full expressions of our best self.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cheers to that. it certainly relieves some of the pressure to get to point B when i know that all this has a purpose in itself, not just the distant culmination...if there is one. good to catch up in lawrence as well...i was delighted to see how close it was. hope you didn't cry too much on saturday...poor cats. enjoy the rest of your week bro.