In what sense do I claim that certainty is a myth? Only in two ways. It is a myth that certainty is required for faith and commitment. And it is a myth that certainty is something the secular intellectualist has through reason while the person of faith has only wishing. There is one thing about which I do feel certain. I feel certain that the commitment to faith is a risk worth taking. I am more interested in finding a ground for commitment than I am in emphasizing the lack of certainty. I do, however, believe faith to entail risk. I do not think all the books of apologetics in the world - or even the Bible itself - entirely erase that element of risk. Nor do I believe God is displeased with this understanding.
From Daniel Taylor's The Myth of Certainty. A great discussion on wrestling with both intellectual skepticism and faith, and learning to embrace both. Worth your time.

3 comments:
graham. not only are you on a beautiful island, but you are getting to hear Brennan AND NT?? If they have podcasts or cds, let me know please! Enjoy it brother
hmm nice quote. you ever gonna give that book back to me? :)
well, now that i've finished it... as soon as i see ya! thanks for the recommendation and borrow. it was perfect for life right now!
Post a Comment