…
I’ve been realizing that it’s time for me to get a new bike. A road bike. Up until now I’ve been riding my parents’ old mountain bike. It is nice, but about 10 years old… and eggplant colored (despite my K-State pride, 'purple' doesn’t quite sound manly enough when describing my bike).
One of the things I love about Lawrence is that it is completely bike-friendly. I’d love to embrace our biking culture when heading downtown or running errands. It seems like most of my friends are bikers… between Critical Mass fanatics, triathlon competitors & the Saturday am riders, I think I am definitely missing out. Besides, I saw the Tour de Lawrence Sprints last month. Nothing short of badass.
(I should probably mention that for years my mother, who yearly special orders the Tour de France on cable, has been saying: Graham, I think you’d really like road biking; you should try it out.
But ma, spandex just ain’t my schtick.
Well, maybe it’s becoming so!)
In the next couple of weeks or months, I want to get a new bike. Or maybe a new-used bike. I don’t really know what I want or what fits my lifestyle. Originally I thought a hybrid would be awesome (that idea was shot down twice last night by two legit bikers, so that’s probably out). I’ve always loved the idea of a fixie, but again, I think that’s just the badass appeal. Paul has a single-gear (like a fixie but with brakes) and we discussed the pros & cons, as well as what he would get next.
So, I need some help. You who ride… what do you ride and why? What do you suggest?
And, if your suggestions could help me be more like this guy, that would be awesome!

2 comments:
biking is so trendy...
get a 10 speed and then you can say you're not just doing it to be cool. or a tryk.
Hybrids blow. I have one.
PS - We're now buying bikes together.
Post a Comment