To say that the evening was special would be an understatement. Tim is one of the most gifted teachers I have ever sat under, and his heart both for the Church worldwide, as well as his own particular congregation, is both deep and large. He is a thoughtful pursuer of truth and has a way of inviting & evoking his listeners to join him in that adventure. Tonight was nothing less than a pastor giving himself one last time to his flock... giving his knowledge, giving his passion & giving his love.
This evening both on my drive to and during my time with Jacob's Well, I was reminded of words of Frederick Buechner's Now & Then, a book I am currently reading. In speaking of James Muilenburg, Old Testament professor at Union Seminary in NYC, Buechner writes:
Though I was no longer at Union when he gave his final lecture there, I am told that a number of students from the Jewish seminary across the street attended it and, before entering the great room, left their shoes in the corridor outside to indicate that the ground on which they stood with him was holy ground.Tim, thank you for your years in Kansas City & Jacob's Well, serving, loving & evoking. In so many respects your influence has reached beyond the walls of your church to influence the thought and practice of many in our city & world. May you and your family be blessed as you enter the next season of faithfulness & discipleship to Jesus.

1 comment:
i had a tear in the morning service. it was basically beautiful. if you get a chance you should listen online to his sermon from last week. i agree wholeheartedly that he is an amazing teacher. the best in fact.
Post a Comment