18.8.09

I am discovering the importance of proximity in a couple areas of my life, particularly relationally. Friendship is chiefly built on proximity, especially in the early stages of shared experience. Further, economically embracing proximity makes sense; even the simple act of cutting down on our dependency of combustible engine transportation by embracing locality would reap great rewards economically as well as environmentally. I could go on.

Lawrence has taught me a lot about proximity. My need to embrace it. How I often ignore it. Some of my closest friends live blocks from me. Across the street is my local grocery store which I walk to multiple times a week, sometimes multiple times a day (depending on my forgetfulness). Down the street is a hardware store (which sucks at copying keys, but we can't have it all!). A couple steps closer is the local video store, appropriately called "Family Video" because, after all, we are a family!

Friends. Food. Supplies. Entertainment. All a short walk away.

Sunday night, I discovered a new player on the block: Red Box!! The only thing that beats proximity is... proximity AND convenience AND cheap. Who wants to walk all the way down the street to rent a movie for $2.50 when I can walk across the street for a $1 movie/night.

Family Video. Im sorry. Im cheating on you.
...

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

please tell me you did not JUST discover redbox. graham, i thought you were a man of our times...

Two Guys Good Health said...

of course not. i just discovered a red box across the street from me... now i dont have to drive to McD's!

Katie said...

Don't feel guilty about the redbox. Family Video is terrible. Ugh. Terrible. I shudder just remembering trying to find anything I would want to watch in there. A video store with movies arranged alphabetically does not lend itself to browsing. Are you in the mood for an action film or one that begins with "T"?

Two Guys Good Health said...

agreed. alphabetical organization in a video store is the worst idea ever! i NEVER have a hankering to watch a movie starting with an "m" but a drama... and action movie... comeone FV, get with it!

i must admit though: i do like their "favorites" that a $1/night!