Almost immediately upon hearing of the Rome trip, I had a sense that part of my trip was to take a few days and travel on my own. I can't quite describe this feeling, but I can say it was felt immediately and firmly. My thought process went something like this:
Rome. Awesome! I can't wait to go back to Rome with Zak and see the Pattersons and the Lyles and... oh, crap. I'm supposed to travel on my own aren't I? Oh no.
Maybe it was being the new kid alone at the lunch table one too many times or just an over gravitation towards people, but for years, I have pretty well avoided being in public places alone. Yes, I definitely show up places 15 minutes "fashionably" late to ensure not being the first one there. I love solitude, but I love private solitude. My worst nightmare would probably entail doing "group" activities by myself... dinner at a busy restaurant followed by bowling and then hanging out at Sheridans with my concrete... all alone. Utterly terrifying.
As the trip came closer and closer, I continued to feel that possibly the most important part of the trip was going to be the days by myself. I had no clue where to go or what to do, and frankly didn't feel any of that was important. What was important was me being faithful to this internal guidance.
The days leading up to my trip, I had lunch with a friend, Craig, who patiently heard the story of facing my irrational fear. Surprisingly, he got really excited for me and the possibilities in that time. He then explained his gravitation towards the unknown, how he ever attempts to put himself in places where his back is against the wall and he has to use his wit to get free.
Those words stuck with me.
I would say they actually flavored my trip. My side trip into London during my layover. The mini-adventures in Rome. The enjoyable days in Florence & Orvieto by myself.
There was something in these times, and on this trip as a whole, that unlocked a boyish gravitation towards the unknown. It's gone latent for quite some time, but, I think it's beginning to show it's beautifully, terrifying head!

(this is a picture from the top of Florence's Duomo that I took right before jumping a train to Orvieto.)

1 comment:
for those who might be inspired by your trip to Rome I suggest to look into vacation rentals in rome where you can find all kinds of accommodations and all with a free wi-fi connection...ciao
Post a Comment