24.8.07

the True Commodity...

For the last few months, I've continued to bump into situations which remind me that we humans live by grace. We receive grace from our friends when we wrong them. We give grace when we are wronged. We receive grace from God as we step outside the path of Goodness and Rightness. And, dare I say, we give grace to God when life doesnt turn out right... or good... or how it ought (it is always humbling & terrifying & beautiful when we turn the corner and suddenly come face to face with the incarnated God, Jesus).

All this has brought me to the realization that the commodity we deal and pay with in the kingdom of God is grace. Grace is the commodity of the Kingdom. It's what we give and it's what we receive.

Again and again, I find myself having to access this reality, typically when I've wronged someone or something. When this happens and as I walk the steps of reconciliation, Im reminded that it is by grace that we live, by grace that we have, and by grace that we continue.

grace (grās) - elegance or beauty of form, manner, motion, or action; mercy; clemency; pardon; the freely given, unmerited favor and love of God.

No comments: