29.8.07

Rethinking Church...

Maybe it's the fact that I've moved to Lawrence to help pastor a church or maybe I gravitate with people who are too smart for their own good, but I find myself in a multi-faceted dialogue on what the Church is and what she's supposed to be. (Our community is actually going to begin meeting to pray and have discussions about what it looks like for us to be the church in Lawrence: Sunday nights, 7 - 9p, my place.)

I'm blessed by those who are on this journey and I appreciate the words and ideas that stir the pot. Again, Rob Bell has some things to say (you should have already acquired a copy of Velvet Elvis & Sex God by now and be in the midst of reading them...):

'If the Gospel isnt good news for everybody, then it isnt good news for anybody.

And this is because the most powerful things happen when the church surrenders its desire to convert people and convince them to join. It is when the church gives itself away in radical acts of service and compassion, expecting nothing in return, that the way of Jesus is most vividly put on display. To do this, the church must stop thinking about everybody primarily in categories of in or out, saved or not, believer or nonbeliever.'



'I am learning that the church is at its best when it is underground, subversive, and countercultural. It is the quiet, humble, stealth acts that change things.'



I know others are in this same conversation & wrestling... anybody else have any stellar quotes or thoughts to contribute?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Of course I dig this conversation and was just thinking about the concept of allowing people to belong before they believe. I am tempted to add or if they ever even believe at all, but my hunch is if they truly feel they belong to people who know and love the person of Jesus, believing will just be a natural expression of how belonging when Jesus is involved and allowed to expressed.

Anyway, here's your first nutrition lesson by the resident RD... 1. Eat more fruit. Try frozen fruits. They are sometimes more economical and provide arguably more nutrients than fresh. (C&W is the brand to find)