10.3.08

new. words.

i love words. silly to say, but yes, i love words. they're so... so... communicatory.

i also love new things. even if they're actually old in and of themselves, the fact they're new to me means i love them. example: music that's been out awhile, but i'm just now listening to it. has the rage already passed and i'm way behind the times? absolutely. do i still embrace it like i was the first? of course!


not surprising, i love new words. and so today, i share with you new words, actually... a phrase... a hybrid... and a word.

the phrase: Mugging Down - (verb) 'making out while hugging; kissing passionately.' I heard it in this context (from a nameless new Nashville friend): 'I kissed a boy last night... just a kiss... we weren't mugging down or anything!'

the hybrid: Sexting - (verb) .... i'll let Luke explain

the word: Intinction - (noun) 'the action of dipping the bread in the wine at a Eucharist so that the communicant receives both together.' My favorite way of taking communion also has a technical term associated with it? And I thought everyone just appreciated the bread being a little bit softened by the grape juice/wine!


Anyone want to share their new favorite word?

8 comments:

hootenannie said...

Well, since I frequently engage in wordery nerdery, and subscribe to Word of the Day emails, I'll share a few of my latest favorites.

kismet: destiny, fate
("In a true test of kismet, Daniel Faraday re-set the coordinates, resulting in the time-travel and ultimately, demise, of Eloise.")

gewgaw: a showy trifle, a trinket, a bauble
("Annie will never buy a lamp that involves gewgaw in the form of tassels hanging from the shade." And that is a promise.)

Of course, I have my favorite words of old: prowess, soliloquy, falter, pilgrim, propensity, bitchin'.

Sarah Amador said...

alright, alright, props for using the new verb so quickly!! i too like intinction...the sounds alone make the act that much cooler.

one of my favorite words is in spanish...too bad if that doesn't count.

esperanza. it means waiting. and hope. LOVE it.

bec said...

i don't have a favorite word to share, i just really like it that you have sexting and intinction in the same blog.

Weisman said...

I like ameliorate: to make better, or improve. A-meee-leee-or-ate.

Also pajamajam. You can't say pajamajam and not feel happy. It is a jam in pajamas. It is a pajamajam.

I also feel as though I like gewgaws. I feel as though I may own lamps or pillows with aforementioned gewgaws at some point. Annie: I hope we can still be friends.

hootenannie said...

GRETA - I was THIS CLOSE to adding "ameliorate" to my list! And then I thought, "No, I don't want to sound smarter than I actually am." And YOU LOVE THE WORD AMELIORATE! And you are allowed to love it because you actually ARE smarter than I am.

We are soul-mates, Greta. SOUL. MATES. FOREVER.

You can gewgaw some lampshades. You can because you're the cutest friend I have. Not to say that my other friends aren't other wonderful adjectives, like "lovely" and "beautiful" and "smokin'", and not to say that you are NOT any of those things (because you are), but you just win the "cutest" prize, hands-down.

Sorry for writing all of this in your comments, Griz. But Greta doesn't have a blog anymore and it makes me sad. So Greta, if you ever check back and see this message from me to you, send me a carrier pigeon or a smoke signal.

Mr. Greer said...

In response to your blog I thought I would honor you with my own post on new words. Mostly words I have learned during my time out in colorado so yes most of them are your "stereotypical snowboarder" words and phrases. woo!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.