19.1.08

imagination

a few days ago, i finished reading the Golden Compass. i started it saturday morning and finished it sunday evening. the ability to read quick and an airplane ride aided in my feat.

i'm not sure how i weigh in on all the fuss (then again, i haven't opened book 2 or 3: the Subtle Knife and the Amber Spyglass, respectively), but overall i really enjoyed it. in a world often stripped of imagination and wonder, i am drawn to anything that makes our eyes sparkle with possibility and reminds us that the way of humanity is not fear and self-motivated hedonism, but instead love and sacrifice.

or as C.S. Lewis reminds us in the Weight of Glory:

The books or music in which we thought the beauty was located will betray us if we trust to them; it is not in them, it only came through them, and what came through them was longing. These things - the beauty, the memory of our own past - are good images of what we really desire; but if they are mistaken for the thing itself, they turn into dumb idols, breaking the hearts of the worshipers. For they are not the thing itself; they are only the scent of a flower we have not found, the echo of a tune we have not heard, news from a country we have never yet visited. Do you think I am trying to weave a spell? Perhaps I am; but remember your fairy tales. Spells are used for breaking enchantments as well as for inducing them. And you and I have need of the strongest spell that can be found to wake us from the evil enchantment of worldliness which has been laid upon us for nearly a hundred years (emphasis mine).

2 comments:

Jess said...

From what I've heard, the Golden Compass was supposed to be Anti-Christian. Have you found this to be true?

By the way, I'm glad to have found your blog! It's always good to hear what old friends are up to! :)

-Jess (Carter) Connolly

Two Guys Good Health said...

hey Jess, so good to hear from you! Congratulations my friend!!

I facebook stalked you a few months ago and saw pics of your husband. He looks stellar. I hope yall are having a blast!!


Yeah... a lot of people we're pretty up in arms about the Golden Compass books. My understanding is that book 2 & 3 are pretty outspokenly anti-Christian, but I havent read them yet.

I actually REALLY liked the Golden Compass. It was an amazing story and a book that I think that needs to be read and embraced, rather than shunned & feared.

I want to be the sort of person that searches out and clings to truth no matter where I find it (sometimes it's hidden in the most surprising of places!), and this is a book that I think represents life at it's best and fullest; it makes me want to live as more fully human (my one exception is the last chapter... weird!).

But read it, seriously. It's well written and a fun story. And, Id love to hear your thoughts...