17.11.07

shouting your thanks.

My favorite dish, without a doubt or any consideration time necessary, is Green Bean Casserole. I love it, and, hopefully, always will. The quickest way to my heart is GBC.

For quite a few years (I won't specify how many), I thought this was a Susan Ripple specialty. She tended to bring it to extended family gatherings and Thanksgiving, so what's a boy/young man to think? I once even complimented my aunt that she made my Mom's famous dish almost as good as Mom...

Apparently the GBC recipe is on the back of every container of French's French Fried Onions, and is a staple of Thanksgiving meals across the country. Who knew?

So, this year, as with every year, I am thankful for green bean casserole. What dish makes Thanksgiving come alive for you?

5 comments:

luke said...

my mom makes these creamed onions--go over mashed potatoes. delectable! haven't seen them at any other thanksgiving dinner though...wonder if i am experiencing the same naivety...

Sarah Amador said...

nope...that's all yours luke. thanksgiving just isn't thanksgiving without homemade mashed potatoes & sparkling grape juice...i've now graduated to wine, but that was always a staple at our table.

Anonymous said...

My grandmother's bread dressing that no one has been able to replicate since her death 10+ years ago. The works of her hands in the kitchen were truly magical.

Anonymous said...

graham, how dare you give out your mother's "secret" recipe to the world!

kimberly said...

graham, this grosses me out. sorry. as much as I love susan ripple.

stuffing is my favorite. and MY mom makes it the best.