12.7.07

You Already Know...

I've had DeVotchka's 'How it Ends' on repeat for the last 3 weeks and can't get enough of it. It's haunting and beautiful, but more than anything, I'm drawn to the simple conclusion: you already know how this will end.

I'm struck by how often I trick myself into believing something will turn out differently than it obviously is going to... merely because I want it my way (which is better anyways). But, typically after a few tough weeks and asking again and again why?, the situations unfolds how it obviously was going to.

As I listen, I am reminded that despite my deep wishes and longings, oftentimes I already know what's going to happen. If I just create some space and clear my head I find that the situation was one way all along. I just wanted it to be different and tricked myself into believing that it was.

At the same time, there is a place for Hope in the human experience. Despite overwhelming odds and the facts staring us in the face, we still dream, we still believe that there's a chance for a different outcome. And the crazy thing is that it actually happens. Not all the time, but sometimes. When we least expect it. The underdog pulls out the W. David kills Goliath. Love triumphs over hate. There's something deeply real and refreshing about these dreams; almost as if, we're living a more full expression of humanity by believing they could be.

And so we live in a paradox, a struggle, between what is and what could be.


[Sorry for everyone who wants to listen; I had a difficult time finding a good recording online. I'm sending you to the Little Miss Sunshine MySpace page. Click on the link and then click on 'How it Ends' where the songs are playing. Crank up the volume and enjoy!]

No comments: