6.7.07

The Questions We Ask...

As I've started to re-enter life in the States, I've begun to ponder the ways we ask people to share their experiences. It's interesting how often we ask for answers, results, or conclusions when evaluating. We want the large realizations to be spelled out, and then we want to know what they're going to do with them... how do they affect your future? your understanding of self? the nitty-gritty of life like job, money, and relationships?


I wonder if this misses a profound reality. Isn't it in our questions that we find our deepest fears, and our richest dreams? Possibility, not conclusion, provides a far deeper examination into the soul. For our filters are not yet in place, and our fears and wounds still feel permission to join in on the adventure.


I'm realizing that much of my experience in Rome can't be explained in answer but instead in question. It's the questions that I now ask that are important. I can generally work with the realizations or at least press into them, but the questions force my time in Rome to linger. I can't ignore them or suppress them, so I face them believing that as they are worked out a foundation will be laid for life to come.

No comments: