14.9.07

Waking Up...

I went to bed Thursday night thinking about sleep. I woke up Friday morning thinking about waking up. Go figure.

Oh how different the experiences of waking up can be. When I awoke Friday morning, reality came crashing down suffocating the ideas and dreams from the previous night. What was likely and feasible a few hours past, seemed so unthinkable that my time dreaming felt wasted. In those times, you shake it off and move on... or try to fall back asleep. Maybe a second waking will bring a better start!

Other times, the morning hits your senses like a deep breath of fresh air. Opening your eyes, you proclaim with Jacob, 'How awesome is this place! Surely God is in this place and I knew it not. This is none other than the house of God and the doorway to Heaven.' Full life is before you... completely accessible and waiting to be grasped.

Despite the chasm of differences, in both situations you awake to reality. Frederick Buechner describes the Gospel in terms of a Comedy, a Tragedy, and a Fairy Tale. Life can probably be articulated pretty similarly.

Comedy.

Tragedy.

Fairy Tale.

Some days we laugh. Some days we cry. Some days we shake our head at the wonder of it all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Graham - You probably don't remember me but I was your sister's friend back when you lived in Annandale, va. I have no idea why, but last night I had a dream about her, which is so odd because I haven't spoken to E in what 5-10 years?? Anyways, do you/she have an e-mail address? I don't have a blog or anything, am too old for that!! Ellen R. (nelle22003@yahoo.com)